Tuesday, February 12, 2013

updates from the long weekend

Oooh! Saw pictures of Liyana Jasmay's pretty wedding reception over the weekend!











Super cute couple, prefer her nikah reception punya decor over her dinner reception's, thought her wedding dress for the dinner reception is pretty adorable! Love the ribbon detail in her hair as well, might want to have something like that for my dinner reception tee hee :D

Loved the sleekness of her bridesmaids' outfits and hair for the dinner reception...


... but seriously not digging their outfits during the nikah reception:


I don't know - the outfits macam inspired by baju Gregorian and seems really weird to me :/

But again - orang punya majlis, orang punya citarasa, yes?

(Post note: Ok, seems like she really likes this Gregorian style...)

Anyway, taaaaalking about bridesmaids' outfits - meeting my bridesmaids at the end of this month to get our cupcake fix, I'll be passing them their gifts (Very excited about this! Been keeping their gifts under wraps for close to a month now) aaaaand discuss about their outfits. Yay yay! Already prompted the girls to start looking for ideas and inspiration so we can hopefully decide on their outfit design on that day itself then we can terus head down to Arab Street to get the kain. Chop chop, settle the kettle, no need to wait for buah to jatuh.

I was actually planning on settling the bridesmaids' outfits only in April/May 2013 (before Ramadhan/Hari Raya period sets in) but as with all other things in this #kahwinkhronicles journey, someway somehow semua kena brought forward ha ha ha. I figured there's no harm in starting now anyway, because sekarang memang period kita tengah takde anything much to settle or decide so might as well use the free time, betul tak! Plus, this whole buy kain thingamajig is actually triggered by our parents' recent borong-memborong session of kain!

What happened was: I went for lunch with my family last Saturday, and since we didn't have any plans after that, I asked my mum whether she wanted to go recce for kain for our relatives. She's been talking about buying kain to give to our relatives so everyone can buat baju sepasang to pakai during my wedding, and I thought it was a good opportunity for kita sekeluarga to do something related to my wedding together.

The intention was really to just recce for fabrics after our lunch but once kita masuk the kedai kain at Arab Street, my mum said not to waste time (I think I take after her in this aspect heh heh heh) and terus proceeded to borong the prada lace that she wanted to buy for our relatives!!!

I called my mamat (who was out with his mum) to ask how much his mum paid for the prada lace she bought few weeks earlier to act as a gauge as to whether the price that the shop assistant was quoting us boleh considered reasonable and the price she paid earlier turned out to be higher! $9 per metre higher ok! Told her we were getting the kain at a much better discounted price and she immediately told my mamat that they'll make a trip down to the kedai at that moment jugak - she was planning to buy kain for their relatives anyway (sama lah macam my mum, nak semua orang pakai boriah), so it was a golden opportunity because she pun get to buy the kain at the same discounted price. Ala ala strike while the iron is still hot, y'know? 

Told my mum about it, and she told me (away from the store assistant's earshot) that the reason why she was keen to buy itu jam jugak was because the price that the store assistant initially quoted us was already considered cheaper than those quoted by other shops that she's been to. What made it even better was my supermother managed to bargain the price down to $7 less per metre than the initial quote!!!!!

Wah, seriously tabik all our mak-mak for their bargaining skillz, man. They all ada pergi some kind of sekolah mak-mak to learn such skillz is it?!?!?! Once I kahwin and have anak, can I enrol in this sekolah to belajar the skillz jugak?!?!?! Hur hur hur.




I think it also helped that the store assistant who attended to us was super duper nice and friendly and patient nak mampos!!! If you're interested, you can look for Nabilah (She calls herself "Ilah") from Princess Fabrics located at 96 Arab Street (sebelah Royal Fabrics). We eventually left with 10 bags in hand, even bumped into my mamat and his mum (who proceeded to borong kain for their relatives as well!) on our way out heh heh

But that was not the end of it - went back to the shop the next day with my mamat and my future in-laws to buy prada lace to letak on his dulang to me, and kain samping to letak on my dulang to him. We were too distracted by the borong memborong kekecohan the day before sampai kain for dulang sendiri pun lupa!

Really super glad for the Chinese New Year long weekend because it was a very fruitful period for us, wedding-related wise - besides finally buying the kain for our dulangs and for our relatives, my mamat and I managed to spend some time catching up on our favourite show together (SAYANG RUNNING MAN!), checked our wedding budget (we're on track!) and brainstormed ideas for our Save the Date, invitation cards and seating chart for dinner reception :D

Since we've firmed up the design that we want for the said three items, I went on to prepare the instructions and mock-up for my sister and emailed them over so she can start work on them:


After all, what are little (visual communications graduate) sisters for, right? :P

Really can't wait to see how they turn out!!!!! If my sister can get them done by next month, then the next thing we need to do is source for printing quotes... although I'll probably go down the malas route and just ask my cousin (the genius behind Dekor Geeks) whether she can pass us her printing contacts heh heh heh

Oh, also decided to scrape the Save the Date video idea because now I'm too malas to carry out the idea hahahahaha so we'll just do a simple e-card to send out to our friends nearer to our wedding date. Still trying to decide when we want to send our Save the Dates out though - 3 months before? 4 months before? Can't release it too early because our guests might forget, can't release it too late because it'll beat the purpose of Save the Dates then, which is for our guests to block their schedules and plan their holiday trips around our date.

Ok lah that's all for now! Off to research for ideas and inspiration for my bridesmaids' outfits!

Besok suspect kuat ambik MC because I'm doing this while nursing a fever and a bad sorethroat. Sakit sakit pun masih nak research pasal wedding eh. Ni lah my mother panggil, perangai bersemangat tak bertempat.

7 comments:

  1. HAHA to the gregorian outfit. Macam pakai poncho ajer - tapi sukati diaorang lah ye.

    Sigh. Your post just reminds me of a forgotten item in my wedding budget - kain for bridal party and family. Agak agak berapa eh nak kena set aside (kain plus tailoring)? I sebenornyo tak tau ni semua because for Raya I don't even tempah - so kinda hard to estimate. Thank you very nice lah kalau awak share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm more than happy to share lah babe!

      it really depends on what kind of kain you want to buy, actually - the prada lace that my mum and mother-in-law bought was at $28 per metre since we bought in bulk (i was made to understand that the usual price is usually around $40 per metre, minimum $35 to $37 per metre)

      normal lace will be in their belasan ($15 to $20 per metre maybe?), satin kain for lining should be around $5 per metre onwards (better quality will be more... $10 to $12 per metre, i think). cheapest songket satu suit (around 4 metres) is about $40 per set, the better ones are about $80 to $100+++. cotton is one of the cheapest - i think cotton's about $5 per metre onwards.

      this is just a gauge so you'll have to go down to kedai kain and check their prices because different patterns and different quality will have different pricing ok!

      oh, and ni tak include tailoring costs - this depends on how cheap or how reasonable or how expensive your tailor charges. my personal tailor charges about $30+++ to $50+++ per suit (basic simple designs) but more elaborate designs should cost slightly more than that.







      so how? pengsan already not? hahahahaha!

      Delete
  2. haha blom pengsan lagik...sebab i tak tau satu orang brapa metre..haha brape eh?

    *gets ready to pengsan*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you intend to get prada lace or french lace, you might need to get the kain lining as well so breakdown would be as follows:

      prada lace-2m
      inner lining-4m

      Delete
    2. hahaha kan makcik kain dah bersuara.

      yup babe, 1 person satu set baju should be about 4m (kalau plus size sikit can go for 4.5m) and yes if you're planning on lace then can buy 2m but don't forget the inner lining + bottom kain (4m)

      unless your bridal party rugged and liberal ah, tak kisah pakai lace without the lining hahaha

      Delete
  3. jemput visit my page: https://www.facebook.com/LaceBeadsRhinestonesAndSuch for affordable lace and rhinestones.

    ReplyDelete