Tuesday, October 22, 2013

bake sale with a heart

Finally fixed all my facial, spa and massage, waxing, threading and hair appointments for this Saturday and I am so, so psyched to start feeling like I am truly going to be a bride!!! :D

But before I go for my appointments, guess where I'll be going this Saturday morning????? 

At this charity bake sale held by a trio of amazing girls at Penny University!!!!!


Date: 

 26th October 2013 (Saturday)
 
Time: 

11.00am to 2.00pm

Venue: 

Penny University 

Organizers: 
  1. The Tudung Traveller, who can be found blogging here and instagramming here.
  2. Minah Crocker, a self-taught baker who blogs here and instagrams here.
  3. Dimpled Chicks, a professionally-trained baker who can found on instagram here.
 Beneficiaries:

ALL proceeds from the bake sale will go to three pre-identified children homes in Batam, Indonesia that the organizers and volunteers will be visiting on 16 November 2013. It will be a day trip (from 8.00am to 8.00pm) and the group will be spending time at two children homes + dropping off donations at one other home. 

A portion of the money collected from the bake sale and ongoing donation drive will be used to buy food items (such as rice, eggs, instant noodles) and daily necessities (such as toothpaste, body soap, shampoo) to be given to the homes, and the rest will be given as cash form.

If you wish to know more about the children homes that will benefit from this charity bake sale, you can read the blog entry posted by The Tudung Traveller here as well as more information on the charity bake sale here. If you wish to take one step further and volunteer for the trip as well, you can read the blog entry provided earlier, complete the form here or email Atikah Amalina (the super lovely blogger behind The Tudung Traveller who was the one who first started visting children homes in Batam, Indonesia as part of a charitable cause) at atikahamalina@gmail.com if you're interested to donate money or food items instead!

And now, back to the charity bake sale - here are some pictures of the bakes previously done by the two awesome bakers who I mentioned will be baking for the bake sale earlier, because only pictures can demonstrate how talented these bakers are!!!!! Plus pictures are awesome and helps you see and know how something looks or looked like - I mean, why else would pengantins-to-be pay thousands of dollars to get their wedding photographed, right??? 

Like I said, pictures are awesome. Especially so when they are of maha pretty bakes like these:








 


(This is one of my absolute favourites!!! Why did this whimsical awesomeness not exist for orders when I organized a Katy Perry's California Girls themed birthday party for my girlfriend Faezah ni!!!!! I only had Coffee Bean's Candy Heaven cake as an option seh. Meh.)




(Source: Minah Crocker's Blog and Instagram)

She also bakes cakes with surprise chocolates and candies centre!!! I don't know if this is its actual name but I actually call it the pinata cake heh heh and I've blogged about wanting a pinata cake and pinata cookies in my entries here and here!!!!! MINAH CROCKER WILL YOU DO MY WEDDING PINATA CAKE FOR ME PLZ





(Source: Dimpled Chicks)

LAWA GILA KAN KORANG.

How freaking amazing are these bakes, guys?!?!?! Sorry lah if I sound very the jakun, but for a girl who cannot bake to save her life, beautiful checkered cakes, rainbow cakes with a heart in the centre, perfectly frosted and sprinkled cupcakes will always cause such great awe and admiration. So pardon me lah kan if these amazing creations are enough to blow me away. Heh.

By the way, not joking when I said I cannot even get my instant mix muffins right on previous occasions - here's hard solid... (or in this case, limp and sloppy lolz) proof from a 2010 failed attempt at baking banana nut muffins. From a freaking instant mix.  

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

That's right - I cannot even get my instant freaking mix muffins right, you gaize.


RIP, BANANA NUT MUFFINS.

Sorry future husband, no yummy bakes for you from your little undomesticated future wife here :P

Anyway, needless to say, I never touched another instant muffin mix ever again after that. Or any other baking ingredients and tools whatsoever, for that matter. I very the trauma yang melanda, menikam nikam jiwa, you know?!  

I'll be really honest and say I have no idea how the cakes and cupcakes and pastries and tarts by these bakers will taste like by the way, since I've never tasted them myself - but that is exactly why I want to be there at the charity bake sale lah. I've had enough of lusting after the pretty creations by these bakers through Instagram only!!! So enough. About damn time I tried them myself, selagi chance masih ada!!! As far as I know, these bakers don't take orders (yet) so this is one of the rare chances we'll get to taste their bakes.

Oh, and in case you want to know what to expect at the bake sale, Minah Crocker will be bringing American-style bakes such as her cupcakes with special centers and her specialties include cheese cakelets and cakes whereas Dimpled Chicks will showcase her classy french pastries which include tarts and crème brûlées at the charity bake sale. A good mix of happy, fun cakes and classy, sophisticated pastries to please every kind of tastebud! Even if you have degil tastebuds and nothing is to your fancy, well, it is for a good cause after all right? Borong for your family and friends who have less degil tastebuds lah, what else! 

You know, initially my appointments clashed with the bake sale tau - I was planning to start my last Saturday before I become someone's wife (!!!!!) early so I can leisurely make my way home in time for Bonito By Bob to arrive and store all his props and materials for my bridal room setup. But this charity bake sale is too hard to resist and there is no way I can pass up such a fun little event for such a good cause. I might have other commitments that hinder me from going on the trip but that doesn't mean I can't contribute in a way I know how - which is to spend on pretty bakes, kan? :p

Which is why I've rescheduled all of my appointments this Saturday in such a way that I can have my breakfast at Penny University (they have yummy breakfast and yummy coffee, by the way), spend some good money on the bake sale before running along for my first appointment of the day. And since I'll probably be around until about 12pm, please come and say hi if you see me there - heck, if you want to talk about wedding planning or share share about weddings in general, I'll be happy to sit down and have a chat over a cupcake... or three? Hehehe. 

By the way, if you're fretting over your bridal diet and using it as an excuse for not making time for the charity bake sale - don't. Make this Saturday an exception. You can lose whatever calories you gain from the cakes and pastries with a gym session or a quick run around your neighbourhood. Anyway, what's a few extra calories (that you can burn away) if you can help improve and touch the lives of less fortunate children, right?

You can also read The Alternative Food Blog which covers an interview with the three organizers.

6 comments:

  1. I too was about to write on my late post about my personal grooming before wedding. Enjoy your spa treat!!! Relax your mind and soul ye. hehehee tempting pls. lets see if I have nothing on Saturday I nak pergi laaaa. ribut tak? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just read your entry!!! hehehe. aiyah go lah for a good cause! don't know if ribut or not, but definitely tak ribut macam running man autograph session kat jurong point lah kan hahahahaha

      Delete
  2. I love this post - so colorful and the pictures! Also, the picture of your banana muffin! LOL! I pon macam gitu jugak. I ever baked an instant mixed vanilla muffin (I think?) and it became volcano eruption with the lava membuak gitu. So you're not alone. :p

    And enjoy your spaaaaaa, facial, massage and all. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe i love it too! i always love it when i have colourful pictures to post because makes the whole post lagi cheery and lawa heh

      omg your vanilla muffin and my banana nut muffin can friend friend already lah like that! LOL sungguh the #fail!

      and thank you babe, i'm really looking forward to pamper myself soon! :D

      Delete
  3. Why I kerja?! Benci ah! But woohoo for you... do enjoy your day of self-pampering doll :-) Leave your worries at the door okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. get someone down to buy treats for you and baby! hehe. thanks babe, i hope i'll get a good breather before the madness starts next weekend :)

      Delete